Parents and teachers are always seeking ways to create successful students and confident kids. Dr. Lynn F. Hellerstein’s book, See It. Say It. Do It!, is the perfect action guide to helping parents and teachers do just that.
One of my favorite activities from this book (and there are dozens of great ones) is an activity on following directions. Try this at home:
Purpose: Strategy to remember a sequence of tasks or commands.
Instructions to child:
- Picture yourself in your mind. Describe what you look like.
- Imagine yourself going upstairs, picking up your clothes, brushing your teeth and putting on your shoes. (Create a two or three step command.)
- Now, visualize watching yourself going upstairs, picking up your clothes, brushing your teeth, and putting on your shoes.
- Make a movie of what you just did in your mind of you flowing from one task to another.
- Play the movie again in your mind.
- Now open your eyes and actually go upstairs and follow the movie in your mind.
- Praise their success when they have followed the steps.
Helping children think about what they are going to do, before they do it, may be just what the doctor ordered. See It. Say It. Do It!
Wishing you a peaceful home!
*image courtesy of lynnhellerstein.com